Chiltern Firehouse

 Michelin starred chef and American hotelier Nuno Mendes has taken an old fire station and developed it into the hottest place in town. Since the hotel / restaurant opened in late February its been nigh on impossible to get a table at the restaurant, Chiltern Firehouse. My boyfriend used to live down the road and always wanted to develop the beautiful building so now it has been, he was determined to get table. 

We managed to bag one last Monday evening and the restaurant was absolutely packed.

 We were greeted by model like maitre d' who guided us through the restaurant to our table. I knew I wanted the crab doughnuts so we ordered the doughnuts straight away and T fancied the beetroot nibbles.

Sweet brioche buns filled with sweet crab - genius! I wasn't particaulary fond of the beetroot starter, for me personally where there is beetroot there should always be goats cheese.
T being particually hungry went for the Sea Trout ceviche starter - which I must admit was delicious. 
<<Sorry about the poor photo quality - I think this was the moment I spotted Matt Smith ! >>
Iit took me ages to decide what to have for main ( my family won't be surprised ). I like to see what other people have and then choose. In the end I went for beef - as my boyfriend doesn't eat red meat I tend to eat it when I get the chance.
As an English Lit graduate I should know better than use hyperbole when describing food but this beef truly was the best piece of beef I've ever and may ever have! Plus look at the fresh giant onion rings!
T went for the blackened salmon and whilst it was delicious I think he could have done with a slightly bigger portion! 
For the sides we for the Maple Syrup sweet potato mash - T found it a bit a sweet but it went perfectly with the rich beef. Delicious. 
The puddings looked pretty special - I went for lemon and T went for chocolate. I usually like light and zingy pudding but preferred the chocolate on this occasion.
 To be honest my only gripe was with the table plan, the tables were so squeezed in we had to move other peoples tables to get in and out. That said, it would be great spot for eavesdropping if you happen to be sat by one of the celebs who seem to live there.The starters and mains were really delicious - trendy or not Chiltern Firehouse really does excel in its savoury dishes. 

I would say see you soon but we might not be able to get a table until August! 


Labels: , , , ,